Carbon Monoxide Leak in Niles


At least 12 people are in the hospital after a carbon monoxide leak at Quality Inn in Niles. According to our reporting partners at WNDU, Police and Fire crews arrived on the scene around 10am, to the hotel on South 11th Street. They say hotel staff members called 911 after they walked by a window and saw six children unresponsive on the pool deck. Fire investigators said a high level of carbon monoxide, 16 times the safe limit, was detected in the pool area. First responders arrived and removed the children out of the area. They report a spokeswoman at Memorial Hospital of South Bend says seven patients were taken to the hospital and are currently being evaluated. Names, ages and conditions were not available. According to reports, one Niles police officer, two Berrien County Sheriff’s deputies, as well as two hotel employees were also taken to the hospital.