Local News Archives

Emerald Ash Borer Found In The Upper Peninsula

The tree-killing emerald ash borer has made its way to Michigan’s western Upper Peninsula. Contractors working for the U.S. Department of Agriculture placed 122 traps this year in five U.P. counties where the ash borer wasn’t known to exist. A trap in Baraga County tested positive.
Baraga already had been added to a list of counties covered by a state quarantine that limits movement of firewood and other items that could carry the bug. Also added this year were Dickinson, Marquette and Menominee counties. The quarantine covers the entire Lower Peninsula.
Travelers are urged to only use local sources of firewood, burn what they buy and not take any unused firewood elsewhere. The ash borer has killed tens of millions of trees in more than two dozen states.. ...Read Full Story

MSP Reminds Residents To Have Winter Emergency Plans

With winter almost here, Michigan State Police say now is a good time to get prepared for cold weather emergencies. The MSP office of emergency preparedness tells us it’s a good idea to set aside a kit with supplies for three days in case of a natural disaster. The kit should have water, non-perishable food, a first aid kit, batteries, a radio, emergency lighting , extra blankets and warm clothing. Some other good things to do this time of year are installing extra insulation in your home, getting the furnace checked, insulate water lines, and clear out the gutters to prevent ice dams. You can get more tips at Michigan.gov/MIready.. ...Read Full Story

Three Arrested After Chase In South Haven

Three people are facing charges after South Haven police this week got a report of someone chasing others around with a knife. The call came in around 2:30 p.m. Thursday, and when police went out to the scene at Kalamazoo and Edgell and found three people hiding behind a house. After a short foot chase, the three were caught. They’ve been identified as an 18 year old woman, a 22-year-old man, and a 19-year-old man, all from South Haven. All three are now charged with resisting and obstructing and unarmed robbery. The 19-year-oldf is also charged with possession of marijuana.. ...Read Full Story

Recall Issued For Frozen Strawberries

The Berrien County Health Department is working with the state on making sure no recalled strawberries remain on store shelves. The frozen strawberries have been found to be contaminated with Hepatitis A. Guy Miller, with the county health department, tells WSJM News he’s reached out to the distributor of the strawberries to local stores.. ...Read Full Story

Dowagiac Man Charged In Standoff

A man is facing charges after police say he intentionally struck two women on horseback with a vehicle in Cass County. The prosecutor’s office says 32-year-old Adam Robert Biek faces assault with intent to do great bodily harm, malicious destruction of property, and driving on a suspended license charges. He was arraigned Thursday and returns to court November 16. Police say Biek surrendered Wednesday after barricading himself in his Cass County home. According to authorities, the Dowagiac man struck the women on Tuesday night. Prosecutors say at least one woman and one horse had minor injuries. The standoff began after the 32-year-old refused to talk with investigators.. ...Read Full Story

South Haven Man Charged With Murder

A South Haven man has been charged with murder in the death of a man reported missing this summer. The South Haven Police Department says 39-year-old Matthew Morin was reported missing on July 9, and his body was found in a wooded area of Barry County on July 12. 48-year-old John Joseph Calgaro was identified as a suspect, and taken into custody on a parole violation charge. He’s remained jailed since. On Friday, police announced he’s been charged with open murder, although they haven’t released any other details. South Haven police and Michigan State Police are working together on the case.. ...Read Full Story

Political Signs Bring Eviction Notices In Traverse City

Public housing residents in Traverse City have removed campaign signs after officials threatened to evict them. The American Civil Liberties Union of Michigan sent a letter to the Traverse City Housing Commission, calling the eviction notices “heartless.” Michael Steinberg of the ACLU says a ban on displaying window signs without approval is a violation of the First Amendment. The Traverse City Record-Eagle says the housing commission took action after some residents displayed signs in favor of a public vote on buildings taller than 60 feet. That question is on the local ballot Tuesday. Housing director Tony Lentych says some residents complained. He says the signs violate the lease. Lentych says, “If they want to sue us, they can sue us all they want.”. ...Read Full Story