Thanks to the folks at Delish, you can carve your turkey perfectly this Thursday.
1. Let the bird rest for a least 30 minutes before you begin carving. If you cut too early, all the flavorful juices will run out and you’ll be left with dry meat and a huge mess.
2. Start with the legs. Using a sharp chef knife, slice through the skin connecting the thigh and breast. Push down on the thigh to separate the entire leg from the rest of the body. The socket joint should pop out. Use your chef knife to cut through the joint to sever the leg and thigh meat completely.
3. Separate the leg and the drumstick by cutting through the joint that connects them. Flip over each thigh and cut along the sides of the bone with the point of your knife to take it out. When the bone is out, slice the thighs according to your heart’s desires.
4. Find the wishbone. This is considered optional so feel free to skip the idea. It does, however, make removing the breasts much simpler. Use your fingers to locate the wishbone at the front end of the breasts. Make incisions along the wishbone and pull it out with your hands.
5. Remove the breasts. Locate the breast bone and slice downward on one side of it, as close the bone as possible. As you slice, use your other hand to pull the meat away from the bone to help the breast come off in one big piece. If you have a boning knife, now is the time to use it. Slice the breast meat against the grain.
6. To take off the wings, use your chef knife to cut through the wing joint. Then twist and rip! There’s really no graceful way to go about it.
7. Enjoy the yumminess you just made 🙂