Unattended Candles In Bathroom Spark Dowagiac House Fire

Officials with the Dowagiac Fire Department are reminding people to be careful using candles in their homes. That’s coming after a late night fire Tuesday in a home in the 300 block of West High Street that is believed to have been started by candles that were burning in the bathroom. Everyone had gone to bed when a man in the house woke up smelling smoke around 11:15 p.m. He woke everyone up and two adults, two small children and two dogs all got out onto the first story roof of the two-story home after calling 9-1-1. The fire was under control within a half hour, but firefighters stayed on the scene until a little after 1 a.m. The entire house had smoke damage, but was insured. One of the adults was treated and released from Borgess Lee Hospital for smoke inhalation. The Dowagiac Fire Department did not say if the house had working smoke detectors.