State Senator Kim LaSata is urging everyone to follow guidelines for preventing the spread of COVID-19. Her office has released the following statement:
State officials on Saturday confirmed that two people in Berrien County have tested positive for the coronavirus COVID-19. They are the first known confirmed cases in the county to date.
The Michigan Department of Health and Human Services (DHHS) made the announcement during its daily briefing of updated coronavirus statistics.
“Today, state health officials confirmed that coronavirus is in our Southwest Michigan community,” said Sen. Kim LaSata, R-Bainbridge Township. “For most, this was a day that we knew was coming. While this is alarming, I caution residents not to panic. By following the recommendations of our health care professionals and elected leaders to practice social distancing, wash your hands frequently, and stay home, we can all help slow the spread of this virus.
“If you have concerns about your health or think you may have coronavirus COVID-19 symptoms, please first call your physician or local health department if you do not have a physician.”
People with a confirmed infection have experienced symptoms including fever, cough and shortness of breath.
Contact information for the local health departments in the 21st Senate District are:
- Berrien County Health Department
- Van Buren/Cass District Health Department
- Branch-Hillsdale-St. Joseph District Health Department
Maintaining healthy habits can help prevent the spread of infectious illnesses, be it COVID-19, the flu or the common cold. DHHS offers some wise recommendations that everyone should follow:
- Wash hands often with soap and warm water for 20 seconds. If soap is not available, use hand sanitizer.
- Avoid touching eyes, nose or mouth with unwashed hands.
- Cover mouth and nose with a tissue or upper sleeve when coughing or sneezing.
- Avoid contact with people who are sick.
- If you are sick, stay home, and avoid contact with others.
- Stay at least six feet apart from people while in public.